Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Making Fag-Hags Popular, One Single At A Time...


Katy Perry - One Of The Boys (2008/9)

Katy Perry has been in and around the music scene for years before having mainstream success. Before recording her own album, she penned tracks for other artist as well as doing vocals for the demos, including Miley Cyrus, Kelly Clarkson, etc.

Katy Perry, not unlike Lady Gaga, knows how to write a pop song; where they differ (aside from obvious sub-genre variations) is that Katy's songs are written as pop songs for an album, Gaga's are all songs that could be released as singles, which is why the later is seeing more populatity.

I only reason I compare the two, is because they seem to both be playing to the same crowd of people, and became popular roughly about the same time. Katy's album is not one that has the same replay value, nor is it as catchy, but will give her a more permanent fan base. All the songs on the album are very listenable and will agree with most crowds.

Tracklisting:

01) One Of The boys
02) I Kissed A Girl
03) Waking Up In Vegas
04) Thinking Of You
05) Mannequin
06) Ur So Gay
07) Hot N' Cold
08) If You Can Afford Me
09) Lost
10) Self Inflicted
11) Still Breathing
12) Fingerprints

(Australian Tour Edition)
14) Electric Feel (MGMT Cover)
15) Black & Gold (Sam Sparrow Cover)
16) I Think I'm Ready
17) Thinking Of You (Live Acoustic)
18) Waking Up In Vegas (Calvin Harris Remix Radio Edit)
19) I Kissed A Girl (Dr. Luke and Benny Blanco Remix)
20) Hot N' Cold (Bimbo Jones Remix)
21) Ur So Gay (DJ Skeet Remix)

There are two definite styles of songs on the album; 1) the smart witted, pop-pop songs and 2) the down-tempo slow songs. and the album falls pretty much down the middle between the two. Out of Perry's 5 singles (4 not including Ur So Gay), Have all (but one) been in the first category, and the next rumoured single is either "Finger Prints" and "If You Can Afford Me" are the last two, so you can tell which of the two varieties Katy and her label expect will make more money.

Unfortunately it's kind of "false advertisement" when people purchase the cd, as the singles are only half the album, and the other (unreleased half isn't nearly as much fun, but very good none the less. I think that the average listener will find that album to be disappointing as it is not like the singles, which is usually a good indicator as to what an album has for a sound.

The Australian Tour Edition of One Of The Boys comes with a bonus disc that has remixes of all the singles (except Thinking of You, which gets a pretty acoustic version instead), and covers of songs from MGMT and Sam Sparrow. All of the tracks on this are excellent, and I have nothing bad to say about it at all, it is a solid companion to the album and any music fan will appreciate the content.

Overall, not a bad debut album, I hope Katy Perry keeps up the energy and quirky lyrics for future albums. Some of the slower songs on One of the Boys are hard to sit through, but are still of better quality than most other artist's filler tracks.

One Of The Boys - 6/10
One Of The Boys: Australian Tour Edition - 7.5/10

Checkout:
Ur So Gay
Hot N' Cold
If You Can Afford Me
Black & Gold (Sam Sparrow Cover)

P.S. This Review kinda sucks, my head is killing me and I'm not thinking coherently, but I wanted to update, so I just typed one off the top of my head. Hope it's not as bad as I'm thinking it is. :D

1 comment:

  1. I'm.. apathetic about Katy Perry.
    It's just that well.. I hate her.

    ReplyDelete